Environmental Protection through Product Innovation
Due to the pivotal role Juniper Networks high-performance networking infrastructure plays in the underlying foundation of the Internet and worldwide communications infrastructure, Juniper is committed to pushing the envelope and delivering innovative products that work to solve customer's most difficult problems.
This translates to offering products, solutions and services that meet not only the high-performance (availability, reliability, security, management, etc.), but also operational (space, energy, management, etc.) requirements. Juniper will invest more than $600M in research and development in 2008 to continue designing developing and delivering the most advanced networking technologies that take into account environmental design considerations to deliver energy efficiencies:
- Juniper Networks offers a broad range of integrated high-performance network infrastructure products that have been designed to replace a multitude of existing devices in today's networking environments.
- For branch/smaller locations, businesses can consolidate as many as four or five devices (FW, VPN, Intrusion Prevention, Anti-virus, Web filtering, etc.) into a single Juniper Networks Security Services Gateway (SSG), reducing the physical space requirements and resulting in a reduction of energy and cooling consumption costs, as well as overall management expense.
- At the core of the network, Data Centers and larger facilities, businesses can consolidate up to three or four devices (FW, VPN, Intrusion Prevention, etc.) into a single Juniper Networks Integrated Security Gateway (ISG) to reduce energy and cooling consumption.
- The company recently introduced the T1600 – a new multi-terabit capable core router that consumes 30 percent less power, requires 30 percent less cooling, and takes up half the physical space of competitive platforms. In addition, the T1600 follows Juniper's commitment to reusing hardware and line cards whenever possible to reduce waste. Customers will be able to upgrade their existing T640 chassis to achieve the industry-leading 1.6 Tbps of throughput, without needing to dispose of their existing hardware.
- Juniper offers virtualization features in its solutions to ensure customers can maximize the space and energy efficiency of their network infrastructure. By enabling multiple individual instances of a solution (e.g. firewall or router) in a single physical device, customers can realize efficiency gains. For example, Juniper's routers support virtual routers and its firewalls support virtual systems, enabling a single device to independently process and manage traffic from different customers (e.g. in the case of a service provider) and different rule sets (e.g. for different parts of the same enterprise network). Being able to maintain the integrity of many independent systems within a single physical device means that multiple devices no longer need to be deployed in the network, saving space, energy and cooling costs.
- Juniper offers application acceleration solutions, the WX product family, that are designed to improve the performance of business critical applications across the WAN and translates into more efficient use of application servers, reducing the need to deploy more infrastructure and resulting in less energy and cooling consumption. For example, when using the WX to improve SAP application performance, customers are able to reduce server utilization by up to 50 percent and gain compute capacity back on existing server infrastructure. As a result, customers can maximize the utility of their application servers and reduce the number they need to deploy, saving energy and cooling costs.
- Juniper Networks also recently introduced the E120 – a Broadband Services Router that can run on a standard 60amp electrical Circuit versus the 80amp circuit of competing products, saving both energy and the facility build-out costs associated with bringing high-amp circuits to the racks in smaller points of presence (POPs).
- Juniper offers solutions that facilitate telecommuting to reduce commute pollution and avoid the energy costs associated with operating very small offices. As a leader in SSL VPNS, businesses are able to efficiently scale their network and provide their increasingly mobile users with the critical access to resources they need to support and grow their business.